If you happened to be a quizzing plus a cricket fan, you would not have wanted to be anywhere else but in Bangalore during this weekend!!! With the second test match between India and NewZealand having started yesterday, fans here were treated to some cricket action finally after a long break. Yes the crowds did not fill up the Chinnaswamy stadium as fast as how the auditorium witnessed a huge turnout of close to 250 people at Royal Orchid Plaza. They turned up to showcase their mettle and rattle their grey cells for the prestigious TATA CRUCIBLE corporate edition, 2012. As a quizzing enthusiast, this was a treat to watch. The scheduled start of 2 PM was delayed slightly as teams were still coming in. It did start at 2.30 and the theme for the quiz was “Expect the Unexpected”. And unexpected it was as Pic Brain was nowhere to be seen. Lyod Saldhana stepped in as the quizmaster and we learnt that Pic Brain was at another quizzing event in Bangalore and would reach on time for the finals. Lloyd kept the crowd entertained with his witty one-liners that had us all laughing. Thus after 30 mins of prelims and a further 45 mins of corrections, the Bangalore finals was ready to roll. These were the 6 teams on stage:-
Rohan & Tejaswi Udupa- YAHOO
Vinod & Mahesh- HSBC
Yagnesyeshwaram & Mitesh- ORACLE
Rajeev & Sambit- DELL
Arjun & Venkatesh- TENVIC
Prasad & Sudindra- ING LIFE
After the teams took their strategic positions, Pic Brain kickstarted the event in his trademark style. ORACLE was off the blocks for a quick start but ING LIFE was not far behind. Both teams were fast on the buzzers and the other teams were beaten for pace. So after 2 rounds, innovatively named as TIPS&TRICKS and BUSINESS APPRAISAL, it was touch and go between ORACLE and ING. It was in the next two rounds where all teams showed flashes of brilliance that had the audience spellbound with the answers. The best line of the day surely belonged to Pic Brain when a team gave the wrong answer and he remarked “Invariably accurately incorrect”. ING LIFE soon followed the same path and ended up giving the lead to ORACLE- who stormed in the final rounds to emerge the worthy winners. They ended up being richer by Rs 75000 which was Rs 40000 more than the runner ups- ING LIFE. They were not the only ones to get richer though. Those who witnessed the event will vouch for the fact that they went home rich with knowledge and trivia- the very essence of any CRUCIBLE QUIZ.
- Maria Sharapova has launched a brand of candies such as “Cheeky”, “Sporty”, “Flashy”. What is it called as?
- Which company was inspired by Luxo, a Norway based company whose name in Latin means “I give light”?
- Which company tops the list of “Top Sales/square feet rentals”?
- With respect to inauguration, what was common to Union Bank and Hindustan Times?
Ans:-MK GANDHI WAS PRESENT ON BOTH OCCASIONS
- What is common to Chinese, Japanese and Korean translation of “Round Objects”?
- Who’s positioning is “Where learning meets fun”?
- The TIMES issue of “The Political Confessions of Billy Graham” was controversial for what reason?
Ans:- THE ‘M’ APPEAR AS A DEVIL’S HORN ON THE PERSON.
- Osaifu Ketai is a trademark that is owned by NTT DOCOMO. What service does it provide?
- This organization underwent a rebranding after 62 years and Water, a Mudra brand, has worked on it. The old tagline of “Excellence with Integrity” changed for “For Greater Good”. The major change was dropping of its place of origin from the logo. Identify the organization.
- On June 2nd, 2011, she became the first woman to occupy the topmost position at her company. Forbes voted her as number 5 in the list of “Most Powerful Woman in the World”. Identify the person and company.
Ans:-JILL ABRAMSON OF NEWYORK TIMES
- This phrase was coined by Yale Yirsch in 1972 in the Stock Trading Almanac. He was referring to the phenomenon of rise in stock prices in last week of December. What is the phrase?
Ans:-SANTA CLAUS RALLY
- What is being blanked out?
Ans:- INDIA INSIDE
- Which Indian company gets its name from the Gujurati words of Tiger and goat?
Ans:-WAGH BAKRI CHAI
- Identify the logo.
Ans:- SUPER 30
- About 208 million copies are published in 43 countries consisting of 62 versions. The production facility is one of the largest in Europe. What are we talking about?
- Who runs India’s most watched YouTube channel of all time?
- Whose ad
Ans:- JOHNSON&JOHNSON BABY LOTION
- In an attempt to sensitize workforce towards the travails of coal mines, this organization screened “Gangs of Wasseypur” in 27 project sites. Which company?
- Two names X and Y are missing from this list. Who?
Steve Wood, Bob Wallace, Jim Lane, Bob O Rear, Bob Greenberg, Mark Mc Donald, Gordon Letwin, Andria Lewis, Marla Wood, X and Y.
Ans:-BILL GATES AND PAUL ALLEN
- Which brand was coined by Alice Binney, wife of company’s co-owner by joining Craie, French word for chalk with ola, meaning oily?
- What was designed and patented in California by Dr Robert Hutson, a periodontist in 1950’s?
- Which company introduced “Good to Know” campaign in Hindi for Indian users to protect themselves from online information?
- Who is the title sponsor of Champions League T20 in South Africa to be held later this year?
- He is an independent member of Rajya Sabha and owns Asianet, Suvarna and recently purchased Kannada Prabha. Idnetify him.
Ans:- RAJIV CHANDRASHEKAR
- With which TN based company would you associate the following with:-
Raja Ravi Verma’s Hamsa, 7 wonders of the world, Warli paintings, Thirukurai, Penance of Arjuna at Mahabalipuram.
ROUND 1:- TIPS&TRICK
- Which social networking, microblogging site developed by Google in 2010 was discontinued in 2011?
Ans:- GOOGLE BUZZ
- Connect- Image of Louis Chevrloet, Manchester United video and Image of Transformers movie-
- A village called Soda is located 60 kms from Jaipur. It falls in Tonk District and is one of the most backward districts. What is it’s claim to fame?
Ans:- CHHAVI RAJAWAT, AN MBA GARDUATE WHO RENOUNCED HER CORPORATE JOB AND BECAME THE VILLAGE SARPANCH
- Wundsch Weinding, that produces functional plastic parts and systems for automotive industries has a tie up with which Indain company?
Ans:- TATA AUTO COMPONENTS
- This person is Gyanchandani. What is he famous for?
Ans:- MAKER OF GHARI DETERGENTS
- With which Indain store has Amazon tied up to sell it’s e-book reader Kindle?
- Image ofMobile toiletsduring London Olympics 2012.
- “_______ is a simple yet powerful verb which defines our Group and succinctly sums up the aspirations of our stakeholders and employees. When we spoke to customers across the world, all of them without exception expressed a strong sense of optimism about the future and shared a common desire to _____, to succeed and create a better future for themselves”. Fill in the blank.
Ans:- MAHINDRA’S RISE PHILOSOPHY
- Connect- Image of Cincom R07, Old Compaq logo, The Dark Knight movie, United States Flight Sqaudron.
Ans:- CITIZEN WATCHES
- It was introduced in Japan during 1964 Olympics and is nicknamed for appearance and speed. What are we talking about?
Ans:- BULLET TRAIN
- In 1917, it became Japan’ frist producer of vitreous china sanitary and is now the world’s largest plumbing products manufacturer. Which company?
- Image of meeting rooms ofKBNP
ROUND 2:- BUSINESS APPRAISAL
- Connect- Image of Ray, Airtel ad, Brand Union, GVK.
- TATA International has a tie up with PUCCI SRL of Italy which is into leather manufacturing. Which brand is it introducing?
Ans:- GRAZZELLA SHOES
- Mel Sampat started a dating site for all Apple users. It has over 27000 users of “Mac Heart” who must compulsorily own an Apple product and sign up through Safari. What is the name of the site?
- M&M launched its frist SUV called Quanto. On what platform did it design this car?
- The Milanese publishing Modo&Modo company introduced which brand of notebooks?
- Connect:- Travelport, Indigo ad, Accor, Hudson&Nellis.
- Image ofSergio Tacchini
- Tanishq recently launched a gold coin in honour of her. The proceeds would be donated towards her favoured causes of combating cancer and diabetes. Identify the person.
Ans:- MS SUBBALAKSHMI
ROUND 3- DIFFERENT STROKES
- Clue 1: Image of Google Maps showing it’s different locations
Clue 2:- Started in 1952 by Narayan Rao as Hot Chocolate Fudge Room.
Ans:- CORNER HOUSE
- This outlet was established by British in 1908 and later taken over by MW Mahadeva.
Ans:- CASH PHARMACY
- Clue 1:- Started in 1968 by SNS Rao
Clue 2:- Its patrons include Dr. Rajkumar and family as well as MF Hussain
Clue 3:-It has a Tavoli Garden that serves roti, idlis and filter ‘kofi’.
Ans:- AIRLINES HOTELS
ROUND 4:- BRICKS&MORTARS
- Two French words that stands for over & more.
- Faye Miss Lingerie is the best known product.
- Started in 1979 by Jaiprakash Gaur.
Ans:- JAYPEE GROUP