November 4th to November 9th, 2012 can probably be called as “The Week of Brand Equity Quiz 2012”. The caravan travelled to 4 cities that are generally considered the hotspots of Indian quizzing-Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad and Chennai. Yesterday, the quiz came home once again to Bangalore- after all it was in this city that the oldest corporate quiz in India took its shape. A single city event has now blossomed into a 9 city event over 21 years of the quiz’s existence. The appeal of the quiz can be judged from the sheer fact that it was a team from Goa that won the Pune edition. No one can resist the temptation of the prizes on offer with cash prizes, mobile phones, digital cameras and attractive gift vouchers. The Brand Equity quiz does have its share of rich sponsors!!!
The biggest disappointment of the quiz was the unavailability of Derek O’ Brien as the quizmaster. Through a pre-recorded message that was broadcasted in the giant screen, he apologized for not being at the Chancery Pavillion (venue of the quiz) for reasons beyond his control. Enter Andrew Scolt- a long term colleague of Derek. Having conducted over 800 shows, he ran the quiz with an affable sense of humor and spontaneity. The best round of the quiz was undoubtedly the audience round who were treated generously with gifts. Even a loud cheer or a raucous laugh or a naughty comment (there were lots of them) was met with a gift. The excitement level reached its pinnacle when Andrew invited few members of the audience to dance to the hit number of “Ganganam” style. Andrew kept the crowd engaged with his witty statements and the audience lapped it all. It was however a different display of wits on stage as TCS romped home in style with a perfect 100 points. Oracle was neck to neck with TCS until the penultimate round where TCS, despite taking a negative, pressed on the accelerator and emerged as the winners. Oracle finished with 60 points. The Brand Equity Quiz 2012 will probably be synonymous with TCS as their Bangalore team joined their counterparts from Chennai, Mumbai and Kolkatta in the national finals to be held on November 28th in Mumbai. Entertainment plus knowledge is what makes the Brand Equity Quiz stand out as the grandest quiz in Indian quizzing circles. So here are all the questions from the Bangalore edition. Happy quizzing!!!
- Established as “Brahmin’s Coffee House”, how do we know it today?
- Emperor, Crown, Royal, Princess, Atlas, Elephant are different sizes of……
- Which Indian ruler issued coins bearing the inscriptions of “Nanak Sahi”?
MAHARAJA RANJIT SINGH
- Along with Venkat Ramaswamy, who introduced the concept of co-creation in the 2000 Harvard Business Review?
- What was the name of the merchant in “Merchant of Venice”?
- In 1913. which British actor joined Keystone Films company for $150 a week?
- Which brand runs “No Kidding. No Worries” campaign?
- Which state produces more than 70 percent of country’s salt?
- Who was the first person to be inducted in US Automobile Hall of Fame?
Alfred Sloan, Henry Ford, Enzo Ferrari
- Angry Birds Space has tied up with which organisation to include content about Mars exploration in its game?
- “Jousting Knights” is the logo of which stationery goods company?
- The largest number of people on Forbes India Rich list are from which city?
- In which famous Sanskrit manuscript, do we find the earliest known reference to diamond?
- The models for which iconic ad campaign were known as “Cowboy Killers”?
- The initial sales of which Johnson&Johnson brand was poor until it was sold as free to boy scout groups?
- In 1943, which scientist started Travancore Chemical Manufacturing Company with Dr. Krishnamurthi?
- The english name for which crop in India stems from the Sanskrit word “Jata” meaning twisted hair?
- IBM introduced 360 degree feedback to the corporate world in 1990’s. Serious or Joking.
- The “White Mischief Girls” are the official cheerleaders of which IPL team?
ROYAL BANGALORE CHALLENGERS
- Complete this Dhirubai Ambani’s quote:- “Think big. Think fast. Think ahead. Ideas are no ones…….”
- Identify the advertiser
- Identify the personality.
- Identify the logo.
- Audio ofMoov ad
- Audio of Barfi song. Who is the music director?
- On which famous pilgrimage are a percentage of donations given to descendant of a Muslim shepherd named Malik?
- Of all notes in minted in India, which denomination costs the most in comparison to its value at 48 paise per note?
Rs 5, Rs 10, Rs 50
- The Hungarian symbol for this symbol is “kukac” meaning worm. It was used as an abbreviation of amphora. Name the symbol.
THE @ SYMBOL
- In 1946, General Moots of TWA came from Kansas City to train India;s first batch of:-
Chefs, Airhostess, Models
- Which is the first Asian city to award a National Quality Prize?
The 6 teams to make it to the finals were:-
ROUND 1:- (In this round Derek tweeted the answers and the teams had to frame questions)
- About 80% of Mumbai’s plastic waste is found here
What is Dharavi?
- It consists of 1.34% gold, 92.5% silver and each costs around $708.
What does an Olympic Gold medal consist of?
- It is a chain of restaurants named after founder’s daughter, Melinda Lou’s nickname.
What is Wendys?
- This parsi surname is derived from a word meaning “shipbuilders”.
Who are the Wadiyas?
- Mike Markulla was this company’s first investor with a loan guarantee of $250000.
What is Apple?
- The media lovingly calls it as Oilywood.
What is the Odisha film industry called as?
- Royalty from which Hindi song goes to the Army Welfare for the disabled?
MERE WATAN KE LOGON
- Which spice is called as Angushta Gadhi in Russian, Kayam in Malayalam and Yang in Kashmiri?
- With which brand would you associate the burping seal?
- While designing which city did Bhattacharya allocate Chowkris, Modi Khan for Jain and Hindu businessmen?
- What is a “letterbox company”?
- In 1965, Fortune magazine wrote an article titled “Is David a genius?” Why did David Ogilvy sue Fortune magazine after this?
DAVID OGILVY STATED THAT IT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN A QUESTION BUT RATHER A STATEMENT
ROUND 3:- (VISUALS)
- Identify the personality
- Corporate Headquarters of which company?
- Identify the personality
- This is the cover of which book?
FIFTY SHADES OF GREY
- Identify the football team
- Visual ofGoogle’s ad on Breast Cancer
- According to marketers, who are tweens?
TWEENS ARE IN BETWEEN THE AGE OF 10-13 AND ARE CAPABLE OF MAKING THEIR OWN PURCHASE DECISIONS.
- “FIRE” is New York city’s largest industry. If F stands for Finance, what does IRE stand for?
INSURANCE AND REAL ESTATE
- Who coined the term atmospherics- the ability of a store to entice customers with its design and layout?
- What would you be buying if you interacted with the salesforce of this company calling themselves as “Comfort Specialist Consultant”?
UNDERWEAR FROM JOCKEY
- What is a Qwerty tummy?
FALLING SICK DUE TO DUST FROM KEYBOARDS
- Which graphic was used in Indian currency for the longest period and also appeared in Rs 10 of King George VI from 1940 to 1946?
A PAIR OF SAILBOATS
- Which 2 colours are on all NIVEA cream products?
BLUE AND WHITE
- The name of which brand of shirt shares its name with the legendary sword of King Arthur?
- Sir Osborne Smith was the first ever head of which financial institution?
- Its internal code name was K48. It was released on April 3rd. 2010. Alaskan Airlines introduced it on their flights. What are we talking about?
- Daily written news bulletin called as filmsies were circluated around New York. What originated from this activity?
WALL STREET JOURNAL
- Sharp Electronics was the first shirt sponsor of which team?